Saturday, May 1, 2010

Our darling bud of May......is one year old today

Well happy birthday to our youngest, little Mr. Hecho. He is one year old today and is a sweet little guy, with red hair and blue eyes, six teeth and inordinate fascination with my cell phone and the shower drain.
I will also brag that he is really the most easy-going little guy out there. Today he sat happily doing whatever came his way, cooing and gibbering to the adoring throngs & horking birthday cake with great alacrity.
We had his birthday party down in our driveway, which worked really well, and a sweet time was had by all. It was really just a small family party, but since it was in the driveway, with B's latest hair-brained scheme (100 balloons forming an floating barrier from the road-it actually works!), we got a lot of drive-bys, horn honks and shout-outs. The whole day was scented by the wafting sweetness of the climbing 'Cecile Brunner' rose as well as the massive vase of David Austen roses  that were dropped off as an anonymous May Day donation. But I think I figured it out! In the morning I snuck off to the UCSC Farm & Garden Plant Sale, to which I trek bi-annually as a rule (spring and fall). I missed  it last year, on account of a little thing called childbirth. I took Eleven, who started a veggie garden this year and has been texting me all sorts of random questions ("Do I want a bucket of ashes for my plants?" "Can I plant now? How about now?") I got a lot of stuff for the Abbey Garden: Camp Joy tomatoes, 'Ancho' chiles and many many little flowers. The highlight was getting to talk for a few minutes to Orin Martin, one of my favorite gardeners, and a former teacher.I always feel a little gawky and star-struck around him, which is silly really, when he is so mellow and laid-back, Santa Cruz personified.
Lots of love and thanks to family and all the adoring Hecho fans! In closing, this song. I had it in my head all day. Take it away, Innocence Mission!

2 comments:

  1. one whole year! Happy birthday little HO! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Sorry we won't be at B's little July 4th bday this year (if you're doing it, same time same place)-we leave for Scotland the next day!
    Still can't quite believe it.

    ReplyDelete

chirps & clucks