Friday, May 14, 2010

From the Darkness: A Morning Prayer

O gentle Christ, ever thanks to thee,
That thou from the dark hast raised me free
And from the coldness of last night's space
To the gentle light of this day's grace.

O God of all creathures, praise to thee,
As to each life thou hast poured on me,
My wish, my word, my sense, my praise,
My thought, my deed, my fame, and my ways.

from Poems of the Western Highlanders, translated from the Gaelic and taken from Alexander Carmichael's Carmina Gadelica.

2 comments:

  1. what a great poem. except this morning as i sat chilled and bleary-eyed reading this with a bright-eyed Smiley at my side, but the rest of my brood still nestled down in their warm beds, it was the memory of night that seemed warm and gentle. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very lovely poem! Just what I needed to read this morning.

    ReplyDelete

chirps & clucks