Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Tentative First Post

I have blogged under the title of rosa-sinensis for over three years now, and it feels a little odd to begin again under a different banner. I feel a little naked, maybe it's all the white. I must do something about that. But the idea is to continue to write, write, write. I still can't tell if it's incredibly unnatural to tease apart the three strands of 'faith, poetry and horticultural derring do' that have (for the most part) described rosa-sinensis. I expect all those elements to still be present here at rosa bird; more like I wanted to give rosa-sinensis the chance to explore the garden writing genre purposefully, without having to stifle any desires to write about whatever else wants to pour out of my head. So!
Anyone?
I also don't know how many readers will even want to make the trek from rosa over to this new site, I know, I know, that extra clicking on the link was hard. I'll probably lose a few people in the transition. If you have jumped over from rosa, why not give me a shout out? I'm curious to see who leaves a comment......
Let's let Clive Staples christen the new blog with an old favorite. (Following the age-old rule, beloved by writers and preachers everywhere: 'When in doubt, quote C.S. Lewis.')


What the Bird Said Early in the Year

I heard in Addison’s Walk a bird sing clear:
This year the summer will come true. This year. This year.


Winds will not strip the blossom from the apple trees
This year nor want of rain destroy the peas.


This year time’s nature will no more defeat you.
Nor all the promised moments in their passing cheat you.


This time they will not lead you round and back
To Autumn, one year older, by the well worn track.


This year, this year, as all these flowers foretell,
We shall escape the circle and undo the spell.


Often deceived, yet open once again your heart,
Quick, quick, quick, quick! – the gates are drawn apart.


-C.S. Lewis 

5 comments:

  1. What fun! I remember you felt like some of your more random life musings did not really fit with your intended purpose for rosa-sinensis, so this is a great solution! You need to write about what matters to you, and some days this blog will meet the need, and some days your other will.

    I LOVE the illustrations! From where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it's worth, I'm here. I enjoy your musings about family life and what you're reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, friends!
    Blessed, they belong to Susie. She has a fine collection of that most hallowed of genres: ancient children's textbooks. I know! They are great!
    Nori-I had no idea you were still looking in! How nice. It's worth a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new spot! I will look forward to peeking in at both places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check you out with a profile pic, CJ! Very snazzy.

    ReplyDelete

chirps & clucks